[CIG-ALL] CIG LTT WG Solicitation

Mousumi Roy mroy at unm.edu
Wed Aug 29 12:03:39 PDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

We are interested in gaging interest in forming a Long-Term Tectonic
Working Group (LTT-WG) to serve in an advisory capacity to CIG. CIG
has developed and released the finite element code GALE, which is
useful for lithosphere-scale tectonic modeling.  One primary function
of the LTT-WG would be to advise CIG as to the desired improvements
to functionality and behavior of GALE.  Additional functions would be
to serve as a communication avenue between the tectonics community
and CIG.  Formation of this working group is a result of
recommendations made at the NSF funded Workshop on Geodynamic
Modeling of Tectonic Processes, held in Breckenridge, CO in June
2005. For more information on CIG, visit www.geodynamics.org <http://
www.geodynamics.org> .

Note that there is a link to an LTT-WG (and there has been for some
time), but such a WG has never been formed (http://
www.geodynamics.org/cig/workinggroups/long/workarea/members).  At the
urging of the CIG Executive Committee, we are taking a "grass-roots"
approach to forming one.

For those interested in geodynamic modeling of tectonic processses,
we ask that you consider the following:

1) Would you be interested in serving as a member of a CIG Lon-Term
Tectonics Working Group?

2) Please comment on what you think the LTT-WG's mandate and function
should be.

3) Do you think we can go ahead and form an LTT-WG through email
communications such as this, or would you prefer that we hold a Town
Hall meeting at AGU in December to work out the details?  If you
prefer a Town Hall, please let us know if you will attend - we don't
want to schedule one if only a handful of people will be coming.

Please send email responses to either Mousumi Roy (mroy at unm.edu) or
Dennis Harry (dharry at warnercnr.colostate.edu). We will followup with
an email to this list to update everyone on the responses we receive.

Thanks!

-- Mousumi and Dennis