[CIG-ALL] Gale 1.1

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Fri Jan 26 15:19:12 PST 2007

Greetings,

I am pleased to announce version 1.1 release of Gale, an Arbitrary
Lagrangian-Eulerian code for the long term tectonics community.  This
latest release features a number of bug fixes and cookbook examples in
the documentation.  You can download binaries or the source code from

   http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/long/gale/

Installation instructions are in the bundled README and INSTALL files.

Release Notes:

   * Gale is known to work in parallel with two processors
   * A bug preventing 3D runs on some machines was fixed.
   * A memory leak preventing long runs was fixed.
   * The documentation has been significantly improved, with eight
     cookbook examples with supporting diagrams added.
   * The subduction example is more realistic.
   * There are a number of Matlab visualization scripts generously
     donated by Boris Kaus
   * We now have binaries for 32 bit x86 Linux, 64 bit AMD Linux,
     32 bit Windows, PPC Mac, and Intel Mac.

While this release should be useful to many researchers, we continue
to work on

  * Interfacing custom surface process models
  * Frictional boundary conditions
  * Deformed lower boundaries
  * Improved parallel performance

Enjoy,