[CIG-ALL] Post Doctoral Research Scientist Position Available, Computational Geodynamics

Sue Kientz sue at geodynamics.org
Wed Dec 9 14:16:37 PST 2009

> From: "Kathleen J. Carlsen" <kathleen at admin.ldeo.columbia.edu>
> Date: December 9, 2009 12:33:40 PM PST
> To: cig-all at geodynamics.org
> Subject: Ad placement request from Dr. Marc Spiegelman, CU Professor
>

> To Whom It May Concern,
> Dr. Marc Spiegelman is recruiting for a Post Doctoral Research
> Scientist
> in the field of
> Computational Geodynamics.
> Will you place the attached ad on your mailing lists?
> Thank you,
> K. Carlsen
>
> --
> Kathleen Carlsen
> Human Resources Coordinator
> Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
> Palisades, NY  10964
> 845 365 8357
> fax 365 8142

Post Doctoral Research Scientist in the field of Computational
Geodynamics;

The Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University invites
applications for a full-time post-doctoral research scientist position
in Computational Geodynamics. The successful applicant will work with
Marc Spiegelman; mspieg at ldeo.columbia.edu  (LDEO/CU Applied Math) to
develop advanced computational models for coupled fluid/solid dynamics
with applications to subduction zones.  These models will explore the
behavior of reactive fluid flow in strongly deformable permeable media
and be designed using advanced computational libraries. The successful
candidate will join a large and growing group of Computational and
Earth Scientists working on a wide range of dynamics problems related
to complex plate boundaries. The initial project is in collaboration
with the Peter van Keken; keken at umich.edu at the University of
Michigan. The position is a full-time 2-year appointment, with the
opportunity of continuation and growth depending on progress and
availability of funding.

Requirements:

A recent Ph.D. in Computational Science and/or Geodynamics, or a
related discipline is required. Experience in modern software
engineering and languages (C++, python), numerical methods is highly
preferred. Experience with large scale computing applied to specific
fields (e.g. physics, fluid mechanics, multi-phase flow etc) is
encouraged.

To apply:

Applicants should submit a personal statement describing research
experience and interests, curriculum vitae, and the names and
addresses of three references, to:

https://academicjobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=52503

Please follow instructions on how to apply since we only accept online
applications. Thank you.

Columbia University is an Equal opportunity and affirmative action
employer.