[CIG-ALL] Reminder: Nominations for CIG director still open + clarification

mspieg mspieg at ldeo.columbia.edu
Sun May 24 13:30:27 PDT 2009

Dear CIG Community,

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to provide us
with both formal nominations and informal suggestions of whom to
contact and discuss potential nominations.

As a reminder, however, the  nomination process is still open until
31 May,  and we very much want your input.
This process is a singularly  important opportunity for the community
to give input on the future of CIG.

To be formally considered for the position of Director, a candidate
must:
a)	Be formally nominated (or self-nominated) by email to
nominations at geodynamics.org.  A nomination can be as simple as a name
(or names) and a brief justification of the candidate.
b) Once the nominating committee receives a nomination, the candidate
will be contacted to determine if they are interested and willing to
serve.
c) If the candidate is willing, they will be asked to agree (by
email) to the nomination and provide the
	Nominating Committee background information that addresses the
	"guidelines for selection" for the position on the CIG website:
	http://geodynamics.org/cig/director-search

Finally, I would like to clarify that in choosing a new director we
expect that the core CIG staff will be at the new Directors home
institution.  The actual
size and function of the new staff will be determined as part of the
renewal proposal, which is why we need to make sure that the new
director is brought into the proposal writing process as soon as
possible.
We realize that the time-frame for selection is rather short but we
are trying to maximize community involvement in this critical
decision. Any questions about the transition or process can be
addressed to nominations at geodynamics.org

Cheers
Marc Spiegelman
Chair CIG Executive Commitee