[CIG-ALL] Workshop: "Future directions for NSF-sponsored geoscience research in Tibet/Himalaya"

Sue Kientz sue at geodynamics.org
Thu Nov 12 22:13:01 PST 2009

Dear Colleague:

On June 11-12 2010, we are convening a workshop on behalf of NSF's
Directorate for Geosciences, to explore and provide guidance to NSF on
"Future directions for NSF-sponsored geoscience research in
Tibet/Himalaya" (see http://online.sfsu.edu/~leech/TibetGEOworkshop
<http://online.sfsu.edu/%7Eleech/TibetGEOworkshop> ). This workshop
immediately follows the 25th HKT (Himalaya-Karakorum-Tibet) meeting in
San Francisco next June (see http://online.sfsu.edu/~leech/hkt25sf
<http://online.sfsu.edu/%7Eleech/hkt25sf> ).

As a community, it is our responsibility to show NSF the scientific
progress that has been achieved with the very significant support we
have received to work on Tibet/Himalaya over the last 20 years; and to
provide NSF with a clear statement and vision of our goals for the
future, including the scientific progress we can expect if NSF continues
its support of projects in this geographic region. As a community we
need to identify which key geoscience problems and processes are best
addressed in Tibet/Himalaya, what key datasets are needed, and how NSF
can best support the evolving need for multi- and inter-disciplinary
investigations.

The workshop will be held 0800 Friday June 11 to 1400 Saturday June 12,
2010, at the Romberg-Tiburon Center of San Francisco State University.
We anticipate that NSF will provide funding for 40 U.S. scientists and
students to participate, and we will correspond with you again as soon
as funding is secured (lead sponsorship from the Continental Dynamics
Program of NSF), and our application form is available on-line.  We
anticipate a January 15th deadline for your application for travel support.

We will be asking all applicants to summarize their personal list of the
"top 5-10 unsolved questions in the Tibet/Himalaya system".  The
workshop program will be built from these submissions, and will be
strongly focussed on future directions as opposed to past results. We
will therefore invite all prospective participants in the NSF GEO
Workshop to provide a science "one-pager" describing previous results;
and also to consider submitting their recent science results to HKT-25.

Please hold the dates June 11-12 for this NSF GEO Workshop, and feel
free to offer us any feedback as we plan this meeting for the community,
using our workshop e-mail address, TibetWorkshop at gmail.com
<mailto:TibetWorkshop at gmail.com>

GEO Workshop conveners
Simon Klemperer, Stanford; Lucy Flesch, Purdue; Carmala Garzione,
Rochester; Kip Hodges, Arizona State; Eric Kirby, Penn State; Mary
Leech, SFSU; Anne Meltzer, Lehigh.