[CIG-ALL] CIG News - May 2010

Sue Kientz sue at geodynamics.org
Mon May 3 10:06:52 PDT 2010

*CIG News: May 2010*

Also available at
http://geodynamics.org/cig/proposalsndocs/newsdocs/newsletter-may10

      CIG welcomes Louise Kellogg as our new Director, at our new UC
      Davis home

It is now official! CIG has a new home and a new Director. On February 5
of this year, Louise H. Kellogg formally accepted the Directorship of
CIG, succeeding Michael Gurnis, who had ably served since 2005 as our
organization's first Director. As you know, Louise is an acknowledged
leader in the U.S. geodynamics research community and is currently
Professor of Geophysics in the Department of Geology at University of
California, Davis, as well as serving as director of the KeckCAVES
visualization facility there. She brings a broad level of expertise to
the job, not only in Geophysics but also in the areas of high
performance computation and high performance visualization. Please join
me in extending a hearty welcome and our best wishes to Louise. /- Peter
Olson, CIG Executive Committee Chair/

      NSF funds CIG's Next Phase

The National Science Foundation is preparing the Cooperative Agreement
that will serve as the contractual basis for CIG II, the second round of
our activities. In the meantime, CIG is in the process of moving its
headquarters from Pasadena to Davis, CA. Our new facility will be
located in the new Earth and Physical Sciences Building at UC Davis, and
will include access to high-performance computing, visualization, and
networking facilities. We are also in the process of hiring technical
staff members; recruiting announcements will go out soon. We are looking
forward to starting on Round II projects, once these staff hires are
completed. I am pleased to welcome CIG to its new location, and I want
to extend my deep appreciation to Mike Gurnis and all the CIG staff who
have worked to ensure a smooth transition for CIG. / - Louise Kellogg,
Director/

      CIG Software Releases

    * *SPECFEM3D GLOBE 5.0.1* - SPECFEM3D GLOBE simulates global and
      regional (continental-scale) seismic wave propagation. The version
      5.0.0 "Tiger" release contains a number of new features, including
      a significant improvement in performance and a more accurate
      implementation of the crust. The "Tiger" release also provides a
      perfectly load-balanced mesh for 3D mantle models honoring shallow
      oceanic Moho (depths less than 15 km) and deep continental Moho
      (depths greater than 35 km). See the release notice at
      http://geodynamics.org/pipermail/cig-seismo/2010-March/000082.html
      for full details. The latest update, version 5.0.1, includes new
      default sedimentary routines, bug fixes, and further optimizations
      for regional adjoint simulations. Visit
      http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/seismo/specfem3d-globe/
      for source code and manual.
    * *SEISMIC CPML 1.1.0* - SEISMIC CPML is a set of eight open-source
      Fortran90 programs to solve the two- or three-dimensional
      isotropic or anisotropic elastic, viscoelastic or poroelastic wave
      equation using a finite-difference method with Convolutional
      Perfectly Matched Layer (C-PML) conditions, developed by Dimitri
      Komatitsch and Roland Martin from University of Pau, France.
      Version 1.1.0 adds support for viscoelastic or poroelastic media,
      which adds two more programs to the package. A total of eight
      programs are now included. See
      http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/seismo/seismic_cpml/
      for the source code and link to documentation.
    * *SNAC 1.2.0* - SNAC (StGermaiN Analysis of Continua) is an updated
      Lagrangian explicit finite difference code for modeling a finitely
      deforming elasto-visco-plastic solid in 3D. In this update, the
      base algorithm for remeshing has been changed and, as a result,
      remeshing in SNAC has become more stable. Now SNAC can run for an
      extended period of time, which would interest the long-term
      tectonics community. The updated user manual also contains more
      information. On the users' end, however, there is no visible
      change: input files for the previous version can be used without
      modification. See
      http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/long/snac/ for source
      code and updated manual.

      Bug-Fixes

    * *CitcomCU 1.0.3* - CitcomCU is a finite element parallel code
      designed to solve, on a three-dimensional regional domain,
      thermochemical convection problems relevant to the earth's mantle.
      This release contains important bug fixes, see the release
      announcement at
      http://geodynamics.org/pipermail/cig-mc/2009-November/000191.html
      for details. Users of previous releases are urged to upgrade to
      this release. See
      http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/mc/citcomcu/ for
      source code and documentation.
    * *CitcomS 3.1.1.1 Manual Update* - CitcomS is a finite element code
      designed to solve thermal convection problems relevant to Earth's
      mantle. The manual was updated to fix the definitions of phase
      change and the chemical Rayleigh number (the dominator was
      incomplete). See
      http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/mc/citcoms/ for
      source code and the updated manual. You can also run CitcomS on
      the TeraGrid; see http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/csa/

      CIG's TeraGrid Time Renewed; Use it to Try Out Codes

Starting April 1, CIG received a renewal of its TeraGrid allocation, and
once again encourages U.S. researchers from the geodynamics community to
apply for blocks of time on TeraGrid machines. Sign up for an allocation
to benchmark codes or to try out CIG codes to see if the TeraGrid can
work for your research. To apply for some of CIG's TeraGrid time, send
in the application at http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/csa/

      CIG Seismology Web Portal Processor Capacity Expanded

The number of processors one can select when configuring runs on the CIG
Seismology Web Portal has been increased to 1014, as the portal now uses
TACC Lonestar's "hero" queue. The portal provides automated and
on-demand simulations, e.g., seismic wave propagation and synthetic
seismograms. This web site launches a simulation on remote TeraGrid
supercomputers using data gathered from various web sites and databases,
and returns the results to the user. Create an account and login at
https://geodynamics.org/portals/seismo to run default and customized
seismology simulations (click "Accept this certificate..." when prompted).

      Upcoming Workshops

    * *2010 Workshop on Crustal Deformation Modeling*, June 14-18, 2010,
      Golden, CO. The Crustal Deformation Modeling (CDM) 2010 workshop
      will focus on computational models addressing the seismic cycle
      across single and multiple events. The workshop blends science
      talks on case studies from particular faulting environments and on
      key rheological behavior with discussions of current obstacles to
      crustal deformation modeling. Get more details at
      http://geodynamics.org/cig/workinggroups/short/workshops/cdm-10
    * *GLADE Workshop: From grains to global tectonics*, July 26-29,
      2010, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego, CA. GLADE
      (Geodynamics of the Lithosphere and Deep Earth) will serve as a
      nesting ground for the U.S. Geodynamics community, and seeks to
      unify the lithosphere and mantle dynamics communities to address
      outstanding scientific and technical challenges in Geodynamics.
      July 29 activities will include hands-on tutorials and demos for
      geodynamics software. We strongly encourage participation from
      scientists investigating the rheology of Earth materials and
      observing plate tectonic processes. Get more details and register
      your interest at http://glade.ucsd.edu/
    * *Training Session for the Gale Computational Software in Tectonics
      and Geophysics*, to be held Oct 30, 2010, Colorado Convention
      Center, Denver, CO (previous to 2010 GSA Annual Meeting). In this
      training session, CIG will focus on training new users in the use
      of the tectonics modeling software Gale, a 2D/3D parallel code
      that solves problems in orogenesis, rifting, and subduction with a
      variety of boundary conditions, including free surfaces and
      coupling to surface erosion models. Get more details at
      http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2010/

      EC and SSC Committee Updates

*New EC and SSC Members* - We are pleased to announce that the following
people will be CIG's new officers filling 3-year terms:

    * *EC:* Marc Parmentier (Brown)
    * *SSC:* Magali Billen (UC Davis) and Garrett Ito (Hawaii)

In addition, EC members elected a new chairman, Peter Olson (Johns
Hopkins), and SSC members elected Bruce Buffett (Berkeley) as their new
chairman.

Thanks to all who agreed to stand for election, and thanks also to the
outgoing members of the EC and SSC for their service to CIG: to Marc
Spiegelman for his work on behalf of the CIG community, especially
during this time of transition from CIG-I to CIG-II; Louise for chairing
the SSC and agreeing to lead CIG-II into the future; and Laurent Montesi
for his valuable contributions to the SSC. We also appreciate the
efforts of the Nominating Committee, Wolfgang Bangerth, Laurent Montesi,
and Shijie Zhong, for their fine work putting together the slate of
candidates.

*************************************
*Committees, Staff, Etc.*

Administration:
Louise Kellogg, (530) 752-3690
kellogg at ucdavis.edu

CIG Administration, contracts, travel, etc.:
cig-admin at geodynamics.org

Equation solvers (PETSc) and PyLith development:
Matt Knepley, knepley at mcs.anl.gov

Gale and Magma development:
Walter Landry, (626) 395-4621
walter at geodynamics.org

SVN software repository and systems administration:
Bill Broadley,
cig-help at geodynamics.org

Website and user manuals:
Sue Kientz,
cig-help at geodynamics.org

Science Steering Committee: contact Chair
Bruce Buffett (Berkeley),
bbuffett at berkeley.edu

Executive Committee: contact Chair
Peter Olson (Johns Hopkins),
olson at jhu.edu

--
Sue Kientz

Technical Writer/Web Manager
Computational Infrastructure of Geodynamics (CIG)
   http://www.geodynamics.org/
sue at geodynamics.org
ofc: (626) 395-1694
   ~Metaphors Be With You~