[CIG-ALL] NSF Survey for Geosciences Cyberinfrastructure/EarthCube

Louise Kellogg kellogg at ucdavis.edu
Mon Oct 10 10:23:25 PDT 2011

Dear CIG colleagues:

I'm forwarding the following message from NSF, regarding EarthCube, a project that will influence long-term planning for cyberinfrastructure in the geosciences. NSF requests that the community participate in the survey mentioned at the link below. There is also an opportunity to elaborate by submitting brief white papers, and by participating in discussions on the EarthCube web page.  Please note that NSF requests a response to the survey and white papers by Oct. 17.

Best,

Louise Kellogg

------------
Dear Colleagues,
NSF seeks to facilitate the conduct of geosciences research by supporting community-based cyberinfrastructure in an effort called EarthCube. To guide this effort, understanding the science goals and needs of the community is essential. NSF recognizes that this input is required to build a knowledge management system that is useful to and used by geoscientists.

Thus, we ask the community to participate by answering the following survey, https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GeoSciRequirements

The survey is intended to query geoscientists about their scientific and related cyberinfrastructure needs, so that common issues and goals across the geosciences can be found and discussed in the EarthCube process. Answering any of these questions in voluntary, and responses may be made available in a community forum (http://earthcube.ning.com). However, we encourage you to answer as many of these questions as you can. The feedback you provide here will be integral to shaping EarthCube in both the short and long term.

We also recommend that you encourage colleagues, postdocs and graduate students, to take this survey.

Thank you for your time and consideration. We hope you find this helpful for highlighting your thoughts on improving research in the geosciences.

Geosciences Directorate
National Science Foundation
4201 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22230