[CIG-ALL] CIG Upcoming Workshops

Ariel Shoresh ariel at geodynamics.org
Fri Mar 2 06:28:32 PST 2012

Hello everyone. It's the start of workshop season for CIG, and we'd like to
inform everyone of the following workshops:

June 18-22, 2012        Crustal Dynamic Modeling Workshop - Registration
Open
July 28-Aug 1, 2012     Mantle Convection and Lithospheric Dynamics
Workshop - Interest Form
July 15-17, *2013*      CIG-QUEST Seismic Imaging of Structure and Source -
Interest Form

In addition, we have information on a non-CIG workshop that the broader CIG
community may have interest in attending.

December 16-20, 2012,   1st International Conference on Frontiers in
Computational Physics:
Modeling the Earth System

********
June 18-22, 2012   Crustal Dynamic Modeling Workshop, Colorado School of
Mines, Golden,
Colorado

Workshop on computational models addressing the seismic cycle across single
and multiple
events. The workshop blends science talks on case studies from particular
faulting
environments and on key rheological behavior with discussions of current
obstacles to
crustal deformation modeling.

The first two days of the workshop will be tutorials (Day 1: intermediate,
Day 2:
advanced) followed by three days of science talks, discussions, and
informal tutorials
and collaboration. We expect to be able to provide reimbursement for a
portion of the
costs incurred for registered attendees with official appointments at U.S.
institutions.
There will be no registration fees.

Please Register Here:

http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/community/workinggroups/short/workshops/CDM2012

**************

July 28-August 1, 2012  Mantle Convection and Lithospheric Dynamics
Workshop , University
of Michigan, Ann Arbor,
This 4th CIG sponsored workshop on the dynamics of the lithosphere and
mantle will focus
on scientific and methodological advancements in the use of computational
tools for
studying deformation of the deep earth.

Technical issues of particular interest are:
	• AMR
	• Robust energy and Stokes' equations solvers
	• Interface of mantle and lithospheric dynamics to other processes
including melting and
faulting
	• Implementation of multi-scale physics

Workshop will have a balance between scientific presentations, technical
discussions,
hands-on opportunities and benchmark discussions.

We expect that we can accommodate up to 90 participants and provide at
least partial
financial compensation for US based applicants.

We are currently trying to determine interest for planning purposes. If you
are interested
in attending this workshop, please fill out the following interest form.

http://geodynamics.org/cig/community/workinggroups/mc/workshops/MantLith2012/infopage

If you have any questions about the workshop itself, please contact the
Workshop Chair,
Dr. Peter van Keken, at keken--at--umich.edu.

***************

HOLD THE DATE

July 15-17, 2013,  Seismic Imaging of Structure and Source, University of
Alaska,
Fairbanks.

Please hold the date for a joint workshop between CIG and QUEST.  This
workshop is a
follow up to the CIG/SPICE workshop of 2007,that was held in Jackson, NH.
QUEST is the
second generation of SPICE, and more information on the organization can be
found here:

www.quest-itn.org.

CIG will be sending out more information closer to the date of the meeting.

If you’d like to learn more about the previous workshop, click here:
http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/community/workinggroups/seismo/workshops/spice07

We have set up a webpage to register initial community interest.
http://geodynamics.org/cig/community/workinggroups/seismo/workshops/CIGQUEST/quest2013

If you have any preliminary questions about this workshop, please contact
Ariel at
ariel--at--geodynamics.org.

COMMUNITY INTEREST WORKSHOP

CIG has received information for a non-affiliated workshop that may be of
interest to the
broader CIG community.

December 16-20, 2012, 1st International Conference on Frontiers in
Computational Physics:
Modeling the Earth System, Boulder, Colorado

Computational science complements the classical paradigm of theory and
observation, and
leads where neither is available. In particular, computational models play
an essential
role in diagnosis and prognosis of all elements of the Earth System, from
solar
variablity through space weather, geomechanics, terrestrial climate and
weather, down to
ground water flow. This inaugural four-day Conference on Frontiers in
Computational
Physics will provide a forum for exchanging and sharing experiences,
knowledge and on
advanced computational techniques, methods, and models for simulation of
the Earth
System.With computational aspects in focus, the physical emphasis is on
natural problems
that are complex, coupled and multiscale.

More information can be found here:
http://www.frontiersincomputationalphysics.com/

--
Ariel Shoresh
Administrator, Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics
ariel at geodynamics.org