[CIG-ALL] CIG: EarthCube Modeling Workshop Survey

Lorraine Hwang ljhwang at ucdavis.edu
Tue Mar 26 13:53:29 PDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

You were recently invited to attend the EarthCube Modeling Workshop for
Geosciences, April 22-23, 2013 in Boulder, CO.  As a member of the modeling
community even if you have not registered, we strongly urge you to
participate in the associated NSF funded social science study. This study of
the multi-disciplinary research and cyber support associated with EarthCube
- now and over time - will better enable success across the earth sciences.
It has the potential to be a groundbreaking study tracing how very complex
communities such as ours advance to tackle the "grand challenge" and
associated research questions facing our field.

We are writing to request your participation in this research by completing
the on-line survey which is at:

http://sgiz.mobi/s3/R2-EarthCube-Stakeholder-Consent-Community-Modeling

Participation in the survey is voluntary and all responses will be kept
confidential.  It is important to have as many workshop invitees as possible
complete the survey before the workshop (even those invited, but who are
unable to attend).  At the workshop, we will share preliminary survey
complete.

You may have completed other surveys in advance of the workshop, but this is
different and as important.  If you have questions about the survey or other
aspects of the research on "stakeholder alignment for EarthCube," you can
contact the PI, Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, at 217-979-2771 or
<mailto:joelcg at illionois.edu> joelcg at illionois.edu.

After the meeting, the researchers may follow-up with a much shorter
post-workshop survey.

As you know, our field is large and very complex in its makeup and that
makes it all the more important to capture your views so that our interests
will be documented and so that our needs can be best addressed.

Workshop registration is currently open (See:
http://geodynamics.org/cig/community/workshops/Earthcube13/e3index.html ).
We look forward to coming together at the Workshop.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Lorraine

On behalf of:

Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Professor
School of Labor and Employment Relations, 223A

University of Illinois

504 East Armory Avenue
Champaign, IL 61820
217/333-1454 (office)
217/979-3771 (cell)
 <mailto:joelcg at illinois.edu> joelcg at illinois.edu

 <http://www.ler.illinois.edu/alumni/givenow.html> Invest in LER

************************************

Lorraine Hwang, Ph.D.

Associate Director

Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics

2215A EPS

One Shields Avenue

Davis, CA 95616

w: 530.752.3656