[CIG-ALL] IRIS WEBINAR - Broader Impacts in the Earth Sciences Division of the National Science Foundation - 4/23, 2 PM Eastern

Andy Frassetto andyf at iris.edu
Tue Apr 15 08:52:16 PDT 2014

*"Broader Impacts in the Earth Sciences Division of the National Science
Foundation" will be presented at 2 pm EDT (6 pm UTC) on Wednesday, 4/23. *

Please registerif you intend to participate in the webinar live:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/678196770

You will be emailed a confirmation containing a link for watching the
live broadcast. Afterwards, IRIS will post the webinar here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/IRISEnO. Access to older webinars and
related materials and information are found at the webinar page
(http://www.iris.edu/hq/webinar/), which is soon to be updated.

Presenters: Justin Lawrence (American Association for the Advancement of
Science Fellow) and Lina Patino (Program Director, Education and Human
Resources, Division of Earth Sciences)

Abstract: At the National Science Foundation (NSF), broader impacts
reflect the potential of research to benefit society and contribute to
the achievement of specific, desired societal outcomes, whereas
intellectual merit refers to the potential to advance knowledge. While
broader impacts have always been important to NSF, the revised review
criteria, effective 14 January 2013, put greater emphasis on broader
impacts by placing them on par with intellectual merit in terms of the
elements to be considered in the review. The Earth Sciences Division
(EAR) is actively engaged in the assessment and provision of resources
related to broader impacts. The expectation is that principle
investigators will contribute to the body of knowledge on this topic and
that the actual activities that principle investigators complete should
be impactful. Within EAR, we are using cutting-edge, text-mining tools
to analyze thousands of proposals and reports submitted from 2007-2012.
This approach is based on 100 strategically selected key words. We are
discussing broader impacts at EAR staff meetings, and having
conversations with individual program directors in EAR to get a sense of
the diversity of cultures and values among programs related to broader
impacts. We are also conducting panel surveys on broader impacts to get
feedback from the principle investigator community. In this webinar, we
will discuss the broader impacts criterion and provide some new
information from our recent effort in EAR to identify gaps and improve
impact.

System Requirements
PC-based attendees: Windows® 8, 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server
Mac®-based attendees: Mac OS® X 10.6 or newer
Mobile attendees: iPhone®, iPad®, Android^(TM) phone or Android tablet