[CIG-ALL] CIG Newsletter, Elections, AGU, Webinar and More!

Lorraine Hwang ljhwang at ucdavis.edu
Wed Nov 5 09:47:18 PST 2014

Dear CIG Community,

Attached is the CIG Quarterly Newsletter for November 2014.  The Fall quarter has been busy around the community and much is happening here at CIG as we head into AGU.

Please take time out of your busy schedules to participate in the following CIG activities:

Annual Business Meeting - Monday December 15.  The CIG Annual Business meeting will be held on a new day and at a new venue  - the Monday of AGU at the City Club of San Francisco.
http://geodynamics.org/cig/events/calendar/2013-cig-business-meeting-2/

AGU Abstracts - Please help other CIG scientists find your talk amongst the over 20,000+ abstracts by sending us your abstract information to list on our website. For a complete listing and example format see: http://geodynamics.org/cig/events/calendar/agu-2014-week/2013/ . Mail to: events at geodynamics.org.

Elections.  Elections for the Executive and the Science Steering Committee are now open.  Your Institutional Representative will be receiving a ballot shortly.  Please confer and cast your ballot!
http://geodynamics.org/cig/about/governance/elections/

Webinar.  Thursday November 13 @ 2pm PT Jed Brown will be speaking on: Software Design and packaging for extensibility, provenance, and sharing
There is more to developing successful scientific software than the core numerical implementation.  Slapping an open source license on the code does not mean an army of talented developers will swoop in and turn your work into a wonderful package that everyone loves.  This talk will discuss techniques to improve extensibility so that users and developers can extend your software to solve problems you never imagined; provenance so that published results can be understood, reproduced, and extended; and facilitate sharing of enhancements, configurations, and benchmarks to advance the software capability and encourage a vibrant and insightful community
Connection information and details for the upcoming 2014-15 webinar series can be found on our web page at:  http://geodynamics.org/cig/events/webinars/.
More information on all events can be found on our website at: geodynamics.org

Best,
Lorraine

Lorraine Hwang, PhD
Associate Director, CIG