[CIG-ALL] Call-for-abstracts EGU 2016: The Interplay between Earthquakes, the Seismic Cycle and Long-term Deformation (incl. OYSAward)

van Dinther Ylona ylona.vandinther at erdw.ethz.ch
Tue Dec 1 10:09:33 PST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our session at EGU (April 17-22 2016 in Vienna, Austria) on:

The Interplay between Earthquakes, the Seismic Cycle and Long-term Deformation

This session (see description below) aims at bringing together different disciplines to together cover time and spatial scales ranging from single earthquakes and earthquake cycles to long-term deformation and geological structures and back, as illustrated by our confirmed solicited presentations by:

- Onno Oncken (GFZ Potsdam) and
- Ake Fagereng (Cardiff University, giving his Outstanding Young Scientists Award talk!)

To join you can submit your abstract here (http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2016/session/21578) before Wednesday January 13, 2016 @ 13:00 CET.

We look forward to a lively and interdisciplinary session with discussions from different viewpoints, including yours,

Ylona van Dinther (ETH Zurich, ylona.vandinther at erdw.ethz.ch<mailto:ylona.vandinther at erdw.ethz.ch>)
Alex Copley (University of Cambridge, acc41 at cam.ac.uk<mailto:acc41 at cam.ac.uk>)
Romain Jolivet (École Normale Supérieure de Paris)
Francesca Funiciello (Roma Tre University)
Martin Mai (King Abdullah University of Science & Technology)
Frederic Herman (University of Lausanne)

Session description:

The devastation caused by seismic wave propagation within minutes of earthquakes is interconnected with processes shaping plate boundaries over millions of years. The recent collection of high-resolution data before, during, and after earthquakes provides new insights into fault mechanics and seismic hazard, particularly when combined with new computational and analogue strategies. Independent advances have occurred in studies of the geological and topographic structures formed by multiple earthquake cycles. We seek contributions that cross timescales both within and between these research areas, with the aim of understanding the physical processes governing the seismic cycle and the construction of geological and topographic structures. Specific questions include how long-term crustal and lithospheric dynamics and structures affect short-term seismicity and earthquake cycle behaviour, and conversely how earthquake cycles result in the construction of geological and topographic features. To answer such questions we need insights about the rheology and behaviour of active faults and surrounding rocks. We intend to stimulate a discussion about the interplay between seismicity, earthquake cycle dynamics and the geological and geodynamic evolution of deforming zones. We invite contributions from all disciplines relating to geology, geodynamics, seismology, geodesy and geomorphology, encouraging both modelling and observational studies.