[CIG-ALL] DCO MODELING AND VISUALIZATION WORKSHOP ANNOUNCEMENT: Washington DC, USA, from May 11-13th 2015

Louise Kellogg lhkellogg at ucdavis.edu
Tue Feb 24 10:24:09 PST 2015

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Cottrell, Elizabeth" <cottrelle at si.edu>

DCO MODELING AND VISUALIZATION WORKSHOP ANNOUNCEMENT
A growing international community of scientists has crystallized around the challenge to understand the origin, movement, and influence of carbon in Earth’s interior. This collaborative effort operates under the banner of the Deep Carbon Observatory (DCO; deepcarbon.net <http://deepcarbon.net/>) and was formally initiated in 2009 with funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. Today, with basic carbon science well underway, the community recognizes the need to develop computational models to more fully understand the planetary carbon cycle in toto – from crust to core.  Further, we recognize the need to create models that are visually rendered, dynamic, and accessible to communities beyond the community of DCO scientists. Such communities may include other geoscientists, but also policy makers, students, and the public.
We are organizing a workshop, “Toward a 4D Planetary Carbon Circulation Model,” that will take place at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC, USA, from May 11-13th 2015.  The goals will be three-fold: (1) explore how the DCO can integrate, engage, and leverage funding to support the modeling community to develop geodynamic models that incorporate Earth’s carbon cycle (2) explore how geodynamic models can be visualized in 4D so that the data can be accessed, interrogated, and better understood by scientists (3) brainstorm and debate what that platform(s) these modeling and visualization efforts should take to be of best advantage to both scientists and the public.Workshop participants will include computational geodynamicists, scientists, and leaders in visualization drawn from private companies, the academy, and informal learning institutions.
 We have received funding from the Alfred P. Sloan foundation to support the workshop and the Smithsonian Institution will arrange and pay for participants' airfare, hotel, local transport and (some) meals. Participants should be available to arrive on May 10th and depart on May 13th. We request that interested individuals fill out an application form by February 27th when we will begin reviewing applications. Space at this event is limited. We will notify participants and make travel arrangements in March. The form is on the workshop web page <https://deepcarbon.net/event/dco-modeling-and-visualization-workshop-toward-4d-planetary-carbon-circulation-model>:
https://deepcarbon.net/event/dco-modeling-and-visualization-workshop-toward-4d-planetary-carbon-circulation-model <https://deepcarbon.net/event/dco-modeling-and-visualization-workshop-toward-4d-planetary-carbon-circulation-model>

Sincerely,

The Members of the Workshop Committee:
Elizabeth Cottrell, Richard Katz, Louise Kellogg, Isabelle Daniel, Mike Walter and Rick Colwell