[CIG-ALL] AGU session 8565 -- Endogenous Mantle Melting

Richard Katz Richard.katz at earth.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 7 10:54:30 PDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

Please see below for an AGU session of possible interest.

Best wishes,
Richard Katz

Session title:
Endogenous mantle melting: petrology and geophysics

In this session we focus on processes internal to the mantle that cause melting and melt segregation. These processes include decompression during mantle convection, as well as melt—rock reaction during melt segregation. Endogenous melting is shaped by the pre-existing mantle composition and its heterogeneity; in particular, it is influenced by volatile elements, recycled materials, the rates and spatial distribution of melt segregation, and the availability of energy. As a consequence of variations in these and other parameters, mantle melts and residua span a large range of compositions and physical properties. In this session we welcome contributions on the formation, migration, and reaction of endogenous mantle melts within the shallow and deep mantle. We encourage innovative studies that address mantle melting through computational, experimental, geochemical, and/or field approaches.

Invited speakers:
Denis Andrault, Tobias Keller, Emily Sarafian, Oliver Shorttle

Conveners:
Paul Asimow, Raj Dasgupta, Richard Katz, Veronique Le Roux

Theme: Study of Earth's Deep Interior (DI)

*Deadline for abstract submission: 5 August 2015, 23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT*