[CIG-ALL] AGU 2015 - Session "Heterogeneity in the Earth’s interior: the on-going processes of differentiation"

Ananya Mallik Ananya.Mallik at uni-bayreuth.de
Mon Jun 29 03:07:05 PDT 2015

Dear all,

We would like to call your attention to the session titled “V014: Heterogeneity in the Earth’s interior: the on-going processes of differentiation” under the section Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology in the 2015 AGU Fall Meeting to be held in San Francisco from December 14-18, 2015.  We encourage you to submit your abstracts to this session. The deadline for abstract submission is on 5 August, 2015 (11:59 p.m. EDT) and can be uploaded at https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/start.html <https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/start.html>

The description for our session is as follows:

Session ID#: 8060

Earth’s interior is compositionally heterogeneous owing to differentiation processes from early in Earth’s history and through the ongoing recycling of lithosphere by modern plate tectonics.  The nature and distribution of these heterogeneities have implications for the convective vigor of Earth’s mantle, its rhealogical structure, processes of magma generation, and the volatile inventory of the whole Earth system.  This session aims for a multi-disciplinary exploration of the nature and fate of mantle heterogeneities in a convective regime, role of heterogeneties in the melting process across tectonic settings, residence times for chemical heterogeneities in the mantle, and the evidence for primordial reservoirs in the deep Earth.  We encourage contributions from all fields including field observations, analytical geochemistry, experimental geophysics and petrology, and numerical modeling.

Our confirmed invited speakers for the session are:
Kate Kiseeva – University of Oxford

Mingming Li – Arizona State University

Sujoy Mukhopadhyay – University of California, Davis

Jackie Li – University of Michigan

We look forward to your submission.
With warm regards,

Fred A Davis (Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC, United States)

Sujoy Ghosh (Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, Kharagpur, India)

Ananya Mallik (Bayerisches Geoinstitut, Bayreuth, Germany)

Ananya Mallik
Postdoctoral Researcher
Bayerisches Geoinstitut
Universität Bayreuth