[CIG-ALL] Subduction Zone Observatory Workshop (September 28-30, 2016) - Apply Now

Peter Kelemen peterk at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Feb 19 18:03:57 PST 2016

hello Andy,

I like studying subduction processes, present and past; I have spent much of the past 35 years doing so

however, I don’t think I will attend

the term “observatories” seems to indicate that scientists will be in a passive role, observing and collecting data, with little innovative interpretation

furthermore, the term observatory implies a bias away from the rock record and toward processes that are active today

I like learning from active processes, but I also know there is a lot to learn from the rock record

as with many such “initiatives”, it seems to me that people very close to NSF, with a vested interest in prolonging some existing NSF programs, have decided upon this “new direction”

once this happens and a workshop is scheduled, only those who think it is a good idea will show up at the workshop

this will be taken to indicate "community consensus”

I am getting too old for this

in any case, I am scheduled to be teaching 100+ undergrads on 9/29

best wishes,

Peter Kelemen