[CIG-ALL] CIG Speaker Series - Deadline for nominations TOMORROW MAY 5

Lorraine Hwang ljhwang at ucdavis.edu
Thu May 4 13:07:45 PDT 2017

Dear Community,

Don’t forget to nominate your colleagues for the inaugural year of the CIG Speaker Series. Modeled after similar series in the geosciences, the CIG Speaker Series seeks to promote computational modeling in geodynamics and related earth science disciplines. Speakers are drawn from a diverse pool of experts with exceptional capability to communicate the power of computation for understanding the dynamic forces that shape the surface and operate in the interior of our planet. Lectures are aimed at a broad scientific audience suitable for departmental or university colloquia series, and similar venues. Institutions with strong math and computational science departments or with diverse populations that are underrepresented in STEM are encouraged to apply.

The Speaker Series <https://geodynamics.org/cig/events/speaker-series/> goals are:
To increase awareness of computational geophysics and computational sciences as a career by bringing dynamic scientific talks to new audiences.
To bring computational geodynamics speakers to institutions that may not otherwise have access to speakers with expertise in computational science or computational geophysics.
To connect speakers and CIG with audiences from a variety of STEM domains, and to broaden participation in CIG.
To work toward building a more diverse community within computational geodynamics.
We are currently seeking nominations for speakers for 2017-2018. Self nominations are accepted.  Full application instructions can be found on our website:

Please send your nominations by Friday May 5 to: speakers at geodynamics.org <mailto:speakers at geodynamics.org>

Best,
-Lorraine

Lorraine Hwang, Ph.D.