[CIG-ALL] EGU 2020: Session on earthquake sequences and (a)seismic slip across scales

Matthew Herman matthew.w.herman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 07:36:51 PST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to bring to your attention our EGU 2020 session on plate
boundary earthquake cycle processes. We are seeking diverse studies aimed
at observing, analyzing, and modeling these settings in order to better
constrain the underlying deformation processes and geodynamics, as well as
the corresponding seismic hazards. Please see the detailed description
below our signatures.

Dr. Sylvain Barbot
<https://dornsife.usc.edu/cf/earth/faculty_display.cfm?Person_ID=1080686>
from USC has agreed to be the invited speaker at this session.

You can submit your abstract by clicking on “Abstract submission” at this
link: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/session/36280

Reminder: The deadline for abstract submission is *15 January 2020*.

We look forward to seeing you in Vienna!

Your Conveners,
Matt Herman, Ylona van Dinther, Marcos Moreno, and Luca Dal Zilio

----------

*TS5.2. Advances in understanding earthquake sequences and (a)seismic slip
across scales*

*The largest earthquakes globally occur along plate boundaries, producing
intense shaking and associated secondary hazards over broad regions. In the
past few years, there have been significant improvements in the quantity
and quality of geodetic, seismological, and geological observations of the
slow accumulation and rapid release of strain at these plate boundaries. At
the same time, improvements in modeling techniques are providing new
insights into the geodynamic processes controlling the occurrence of major
earthquakes. With these advances, it is now becoming possible to address
outstanding issues about both seismic and aseismic deformation at plate
boundaries, such as time-variable locking and unlocking of the plate
interface, the extent and role of slow slip events, the links between
earthquake cycles and permanent deformation, and the behavior of complete
cycles revealed by paleo-seismic and paleo-geodetic observations.*

*We invite contributions that investigate the spectrum of deformation
occurring throughout the earthquake cycle at plate boundaries, from
aseismic to seismic and across a variety of spatial and temporal scales.
Submissions that utilize improved remote and field observational
capabilities, developments in data analysis, or innovations in analog and
numerical modeling to advance the understanding of the underlying physical
processes are encouraged.*