[CIG-ALL] CIG: Letter from the Director

Lorraine Hwang ljhwang at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 19 15:38:15 PDT 2020

Dear Community,

Following COVID-19 news is challenging as the situations around the World and U.S. vary and continue to be very fluid. Here in California, several counties now have “shelter-in-place” orders in effect. This is enforceable and now in effect in Yolo County in which the majority of the UC Davis Campus resides. In response, UC Davis has suspended operations as of March 18. We are fortunate to have the backing of the UC system which has policies in place to ensure continuity and safety of its employees.

The status of the UC Davis campus is as follows:

Instruction for Winter and Spring Quarter has been/will be offered remotely.
All international and U.S.-based Study Abroad programs through summer have been suspended.
Campus is urging no gatherings at all.

CIG thrives as a virtual organization. We have been early adapters of many technologies that allow us to communicate internally and externally with our teams and community. At HQ, we will continue to leverage these tools as we telecommute during this uncertain time. Our experience from our highly successful 2020 ASPECT Virtual Workshop will be key as we transition our early summer events to virtual and provide opportunities for virtual interactions.

I am reminded that working virtually is a new experience for some and encourage you to reach out to those around you to help them adapt their workflows. We have started an Education and Outreach category in the CIG Forum for our community to exchange online teaching materials and tips. Consider sharing K-12 and general science resources too.

Lastly, we would like to also hear more about your computing needs during this period. We encourage our community to continue to use the forum to obtain and offer help and resources.

This crisis is a good reminder of why modeling and data are vital to our national resiliency.

Looking forward to seeing you in Davis this Fall for the CIG Community Workshop October 23-24, 2020.

Best wishes to you and your family,

-Lorraine

Lorraine Hwang, Ph.D. - Director
Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics
530.752.3656
geodynamics.org

Visit the CIG Forum: https://community.geodynamics.org/ <https://community.geodynamics.org/>