[CIG-CS] Variable viscosity Stokes solver

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Mon Apr 11 15:13:24 PDT 2011

> Now I am a bit confused.  You sent a me a modified version of step-32
> which uses Trilinos explicitly, but the falling block test does not.
> So, are they using the same type of solver?

Almost. step-32 uses Trilinos and AMG as preconditioner for the top left block
of the Stokes matrix. The modified step-22 we were discussing for the
variable-viscosity Stokes benchmark uses the same outer solver and the same
kind of preconditioner but instead of preconditioning the solution of the top
left block by AMG it just uses UMFPACK. Since it doesn't use AMG, there is no
need for Trilinos and so I use deal.II's native linear algebra.

That said, the solver and preconditioner is the same, just the implementation
is different.

Does that make sense?
Best
 W.