[CIG-CS] Particle problems and Semi-Lagrangian Schemes for Gamr

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Tue May 31 19:58:10 PDT 2011

> > > and eliminate particles, making the code much simpler, especially in
> > > parallel.
> >
> > How would you do P-T traces with SL?
>
> I am probably exposing my own ignorance, but I assume you mean
> Pressure-Temperature,
> or phase diagram traces so we can determine what phase is active. You
> interpolate all the
> fields to the point you want evaluated.

I'm with Matt for pretty much all cases, but I think there are cases where
tracers are probably hard to avoid. Think for example if you wanted to keep
apart a dozen different kinds of rock, i.e. the quantity in question is
integral. Yes, we can have a field that starts with these integral values, but
an interface between rock type 1 and 3 will smear out and produce rocks of
kind 2 -- not what you probably wanted. This can only work if you have N-1
fields for N different phases, which might make it expensive if N is larger
than 3 or 4.

But I agree that for most everything else, in particular history values, I
find field-based descriptions easier and more efficient as well. In
particular, it is simpler to match the accuracy (or polynomial degree) of the
field to that  of the velocity field, or the field from which the history is
computed.

W.

Wolfgang Bangerth                email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu