[CIG-CS] Discontinuous viscosity

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Mon Mar 5 06:46:35 PST 2012

Sergio Zlotnik <sergio.zlotnik at upc.edu> wrote:
> Hi Walter,
> I'm very interested in what happen when the interface in not horizontal.
> Using some similar techniques, I've found very different results when the
> interface is slightly tilted.

I have read your XFEM papers.  XFEM and IIM solve the same problem but
the numerics are rather different.  For example, you noted some
problems when the interface is very close to the boundary of the
element [1].  IIM does not have this problem (it may have other
problems).  Is this what you mean by "different results", or is it
something else?

Cheers,
Walter Landry

[1] Numerical modelling of tectonic plates subduction using X-FEM
    Sergio Zlotnik, Pedro Dıez, Manel Fernandez, Jaume Verges
    Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. 196 (2007) 4283–4293
    Section 3.3