[CIG-GEODYN] MAG bug and further questions

Karissa Metko karissa.metko at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 16 10:30:13 PST 2012

Hi,

I am emailing you in regards to the program called MAG. I am trying to use
it for research regarding planetary interiors and believe there maybe a bug
in the idl program called magvol.pro. When running this program, the
following does not work when given correct inputs: Joule Heat, Lorentz
Work, Magnetic Energy, and Angular velocity. The program crashes.

I also have further questions regarding MAG usage. I have a copy of the
User Manual that can be found on the website, but it seems exceedingly
vague. I am looking for more information on the details of the program as a
whole. There are no indications what the values of the numbers generated in
output files are, in particular, I have been using the g files used for
magvol.pro. For my research I am specifically interested in seeing what
happens when particular parameters change such as radius and composition.

There is a file called cmbcoeff.f where the radius can be found and it
makes sense that if that number is changed then there should also be
changes in output files when the program is recompiled but without further
information I can not tell if anything has changed. At the current moment
it seems not to change.

I have also changed parameters in prep.f which are listed as being
changeable parameters, which can be changed without recompiling. Recompiled
or not, these also do not change when magvol.pro is run.

I am not sure if this is a result of a bug or lack of information.

In summary, I am looking for more detailed information about MAG
specifically regarding what the generated numbers are in output files, but
also more information about the idl program magvol.pro. In particular what
color bar is used here? There is no indication of what the colors generated
in the picture stand for.

If you could provide me with some help, I would be grateful.
Thank you,

Karissa Metko