[CIG-GEODYN] EGU session TS6.8/SM6.20 Building mountain roots: from geophysical approaches to geological concepts (in memory of M Beltrando)

Frederic Mouthereau frederic.mouthereau at get.omp.eu
Tue Jan 5 08:12:46 PST 2016

Dear colleagues,

we would like to draw your attention to the EGU session TS6.8/SM6.20 "Building mountain roots: from geophysical approaches to geological concepts”
that is in memory of Marco Beltrando

The session will be dedicated to the memory of Marco Beltrando who passed away at the age of 36 on the 8th of December 2015. His innovative work on the recognition of hyper-extended margins in the collisional belt of the Western Alps, and recognition of heating-cooling cycles in rift systems are of major importance for the understanding of other orogenic belts all around the world. We were thinking to have him as a main contributor in our session few days before his tragic death.

Confirmed invited speakers:
Antonio Villasenor (CSIC, Barcelona)
Othmar Müntener (UNIL, Lausanne)

Session details :
Understanding the building of mountain ranges is largely limited by our ability to link its topographic evolution to its deep crustal and lithospheric structure and composition. While the crust and lithosphere is known to be compositionally, petrographically and structurally inhomogeneous, little is known on how the nature and structure of the lithosphere control the deformation style and architecture of an orogen. Seismological techniques, combined with innovative field-based studies and analytical techniques, may provide a more precise characterization of the deep-seated physical parameters at play. In this session, we are welcoming contributions presenting new geophysical imaging techniques, seismologic and numerical geodynamic modeling, as well as field-based studies, combining low-temperature thermochronology, geochronology, petrography and geochemistry.

Note, that for abstract submission the deadline is:

EGU 2016 Abstract Submission Deadline: *13-Jan-2016, 13:00 CET*.

We are looking forward to meeting you in Vienna!

Frederic, Sebastien, Gianreto and Julie

Frederic Mouthereau
Professeur
Université de Toulouse