[CIG-GEODYN] Calypso question

Hiroaki Matsui h.kemono at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 16:58:24 PST 2016

Dear Michael,

there is a preparation to run the dynamo simulations with Calypso.

First, data files for indexing and communication table is generated by the program ‘gen_sph_grids’.
This program need a control file named ‘control_sph_shell’, which includes parallelization information.
The subdomain information is defined at ‘num_subdomain_ctl’ in ‘data_files_def’ block and
‘num_domain_ctl’ block.

The total number of subdomain is defined at ‘num_subdomain_ctl’.
I strongly recommend to set the same number for the number of ‘radial’ decomposition in
‘num_domain_sph_grid’ and ‘num_domain_legendre’.
Consequently, the number of decomposition in ‘meridional’ and ‘zonal’ are the same
in ‘num_domain_sph_grid’ and ‘num_domain_legendre’, respectively.

Finally, products of decomposition in ‘num_domain_spectr’, ‘num_domain_legendre’, and
'num_domain_sph_grid’ are the same as the total # of decomposition ‘num_subdomain_ctl’.

Here is an example of parallelization information in ‘ctl_sph_shell’ for 8 domains:

  begin data_files_def
    num_subdomain_ctl    8
    sph_file_prefix             'sph_lm31t48r64c_ic_8/in’    <- Any file name can be defined
  end data_files_def
!
  begin num_domain_ctl
    array num_domain_sph_grid  2
      num_domain_sph_grid   radial         2     end
      num_domain_sph_grid   meridional     4     end
    end array num_domain_sph_grid
!
    array num_domain_legendre   2
      num_domain_legendre   radial         2     end
      num_domain_legendre   zonal          4     end
    end array num_domain_legendre
!
    array num_domain_spectr     1
      num_domain_spectr      modes         8    end
    end array num_domain_spectr
  end num_domain_ctl

After generating the indexing information, you can run the dynamo simulation by the program ‘sph_mhd’.
‘sph_mhd’ needs the control file named ‘control_MHD’, and it also has the entity ‘num_subdomain_ctl’ in
‘data_files_def’. So you need to define ‘num_subdomain_ctl’ to be 8.

Here is an example of ‘data_files_def’ block in control_MHD:
!
  begin data_files_def
    num_subdomain_ctl            8
    num_smp_ctl                  1
!
    sph_file_prefix             'sph_lm31t48r64c_ic_8/in'
!
    restart_file_prefix         'restart/rst'
    field_file_prefix           'field/out'
  end data_files_def
!

Best,