[Cig-jobpostings] Mendenhall postdoctoral opportunity at USGS Menlo Park related to seismic velocity models and earthquake ground motion

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed May 30 15:39:28 PDT 2018

Mendenhall Research Fellowship Opportunity S28. Characterizing crustal
structure in the San Francisco Bay area for earthquake ground-motion
simulations

1 position available in Menlo Park, CA
https://geology.usgs.gov/postdoc/opps/2018/S28%20Aagaard.htm
Application deadline: July 25, 2018.

For general application information:
https://geology.usgs.gov/postdoc/index.html

Structural engineers require accurate estimates of earthquake ground
motion in order to design structures to resist loads efficiently and
reduce loss of life and property from damaging earthquakes. In order to
improve seismic hazard assessments, we need to advance our understanding
of the physical processes that govern ground shaking and its effects on
the built environment. As seismic waves propagate away from an
earthquake rupture, they are affected by the earth structure, resulting
in complex wave propagation effects caused by basin edges,
super-critical reflections, scattering, and other features.

We seek a Mendenhall Postdoctoral Scholar to use novel data and/or
analysis techniques to improve the USGS 3D seismic velocity model for
the San Francisco Bay region
(https://earthquake.usgs.gov/data/3dgeologic/). Many of the sedimentary
basins within the model were defined using geophysical data, e.g.,
gravity surveys. Proposals combining seismic observations (e.g.,
earthquake recordings, previous active source experiments, and ambient
noise) with geophysical observations (e.g., gravity and aeromagnetic
data) and well logs to constrain the 3D elastic properties are strongly
encouraged. Proposals should describe the merit of incorporating the
chosen subset of observations in constraining the seismic velocity
model. The proposed study should include documenting the effects of
improvements in the seismic velocity model on ground-motion simulations
of moderate earthquakes.

Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the advisors
early in the application process to discuss project ideas.

Research Advisor(s): Brad Aagaard, (650) 329-4789, baagaard at usgs.gov;
Russell Graymer, (650) 329-4988, rgraymer at usgs.gov.