[CIG-LONG] Gale at AGU

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Tue Nov 27 22:31:33 PST 2007

Greetings,

I will be giving a poster session on Gale at AGU on Tuseday, December
11.  The number is DI21A-0343, and the abstract is reproduced below.
In preparation for this, I have done some large, Tibetan-scale
simulations that may be of interest.  The attached animated gifs show
the evolution of the strain rate invariant as the region is pulled.
The 2D model starts with a simple, flat plateau, while the 3D model
has real topography from a part of the Tibetan plateau overlaid on
top.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an email or meet me in
person at AGU.  I will be at AGU all day Tuesday.

walter at geodynamics.org

----------------------

Gale:  Large Scale Tectonics Modelling With Free Software

we have developed Gale, a parallel 2D and 3D finite element code.
Gale's focus is on orogenesis, rifting, and subduction, although it is
flexible enough to be applied to such diverse problems as coronae
formation on Venus and 3D evolution of crustal fault systems.

Gale solves the Stokes and heat transport equations with a large
selection of viscous and plastic rheologies.  Material properties are
tracked using particles, allowing Gale to accurately track interfaces
and simulate large deformations.  In addition, Gale has a true free
surface and a simple programming interface that allows you to plug in
your own surface process model.  Gale supports a wide variety of
boundary conditions, including inflow/outflow, fixed, stress, and
static and dynamic friction.  Gale has been extensively tested and
validated and is exhaustively documented with a 100+ page manual.
Gale has been run on everything from laptops to 1000+ processor
clusters.  Source and prebuilt binaries are freely available at the
CIG website.  We will discuss Gale's capabilities, present benchmark
results, and demonstrate solutions to realistic problems.