[CIG-LONG] [gale] model equilibration (thermal and isostatic) + boxShape initial geometry

Guillaume.Duclaux at csiro.au Guillaume.Duclaux at csiro.au
Sun Aug 10 23:59:10 PDT 2008

Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding (1) model equilibration in Gale,
and (2) model box initial geometry.

(1) I'm working on a model involving oceanic and continental
lithospheres.

I first ran non-dynamic models in order to let them equilibrate by
isostasy and let geotherms equilibrate for the different materials too.
Then, I ran dynamic models in compression, starting with a non
equilibrated initial geometry identical to the one of the previous
models.

I'd like now to start a model with a non equilibrated initial geometry,
lets it equilibrate for some 100 Myr, and turn the velocity ON. This
could be done using a velocity function pretty similar to the
StepFunction (a ramp function like: V=0 for t<t{-},
V=V((t-t{-})/(t{+}-t{-})) for t{-}<t<t{+}, and V=V for t>t{+}). However,
the StepFunction depends of (x,y,z) and not time (or number of steps).

Is there a smart way to do such thing with Gale?

Alternatively, is it possible to use some output files as input
parameters for a new model?
For example, I guess it might be possible to define Initial Conditions
from a file rather than a double value. Thus, I could use equilibrated
values for particles and nodes data (i.e. isostatic adjustments and
equilibrated geotherms) and directly impose a velocity to a model
boundary.

(2) "By default Gale starts the simulation in a rectangular box" - from
Gale's user manual. Is it possible to setup an alternative initial
geometry such as a polygon shape rather than a box?

i.e.:
<struct name="bottomBoundaryShape">
      <param name="Type">PolygonShape</param>     instead of Box

<struct name="boxShape">
      <param name="Type">PolygonShape</param>	 instead of Box

Cheers,

Guilly

Dr Guillaume Duclaux
Structural Geologist/Modeller
CSIRO Exploration and Mining
Visiting address: 6G13, ARRC, 26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington, Western
Australia, 6151
Postal address: PO Box 1130, Bentley, WA, 6102, Australia
Ph: + 61 8 6436 8728  Fax: + 61 8 6436 8555  Web: www.csiro.au