[CIG-LONG] gale : 1 input, 4 different outputs

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Tue Feb 26 10:34:03 PST 2008

js at cp.dias.ie wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently ran the same model in Gale four times and it generated
> four differing outputs. While run 1 and run 3 are quite similar, as are
> run 2 and run 4, 1 and 3 both differ significantly from 2 and 4. When
> Gale generates the material points for a model, does it do so randomly?
> Is this the reason for the differences? If so, is it possible to use
> the starting locations of the material points from one model in another
> future model?

There are a few different ways that Gale can lay out the particles, one
of which is random.  However, there should be a parameter "seed" which
is the pseudo random number generator seed.  If you are getting
different answers for the same input file and the same number of
processors, then something might be wrong.  Can I see your input
file?

Thanks,
Walter Landry
walter at geodynamics.org