[CIG-LONG] GALE Workshop planning & VPAC support for GALE

Bill Appelbe bill at vpac.org
Wed Apr 8 13:48:17 PDT 2009

Hi all:

We would naturally be pleased to attend such a workshop to provide
training and support in collaboration with CIG.

We thought that the community interaction and feedback from the
workshop was great, and as a result there are a couple of initiatives
we are undertaking:
a)	A code merger of GALE with the current release of StGermain/
Underworld
	(we will work with Walter on this), so that GALE can take advantage
of the
	ongoing improvements and fixes to StGermain/Underworld
b)	An "audit" of StGermain/Underworld (and implicity GALE) with a view
	developing a concrete plan to improve the:
	-	readability, consistency, and style of the C code itself
		and documentation for developers
	-	readability and documentation of the XML input decks for users
	-	a long-term roadmap for both the code and new features
		(e.g., a FEniCS style, or FEniCS integration for HLLs for PDEs
	By audit we mean we will be bringing in some new resources from outside
	the current team to undertake the review that we will resource.
	We welcome the communities input on this and will work closely with
	CIG and make the inputs and results of the audit an open document