[CIG-LONG] cig-long email list

Eunseo Choi echoi at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 29 20:33:55 PDT 2009

Hi, Garrett

SNAC is a 3D code like Gale so it is supposed to be computationally
expensive compared to any 2D codes.
I believe this is not what you meant.

As far as I know, the performance of SNAC and Gale has never been
compared quantitatively yet. Please let me know if it's done even
qualitatively.
So, I wonder why you have the impression that SNAC is too expensive for
3D models.

By the way, SNAC can do Mohr-Coulomb plasticity in 3D and doesn't have
the restriction that plastic flow should always be incompressible.

Eunseo

Garrett Ito wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
>   Good-- I'm glad to see 3D is starting to get a footing in the
> community.  This is my main reason for using Gale as I already do
> faulting in 2D with FLAC (and it is my understanding that SNAC is too
> computationally expensive in 3D ?).  Correction... Mohr-Coulomb has
> been removed from Gale because it was unstable in 3D and is identical
> to Drucker-Prager in 2D.
>
> Garrett

Eunseo Choi
Post-Doctoral Research Scientist