[CIG-LONG] cig-long email list

Eunseo Choi echoi at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Apr 30 14:52:46 PDT 2009

Hi, Garrett

First of all, thanks for responding to my comments and suggesting an
interesting  benchmark.

SNAC cannot currently handle Drucker-Prager plasticity, so I'll use
Mohr-Coulomb model.

A more fundamental issue is that SNAC is hardwired to be 3D, which means
it can solve a 2D problem using a thin 3D model with plane strain
conditions.
A pseudo-2D model like this will obviously raise the numerical cost
compared to a true 2D one, rendering the benchmark unfair.

So, could you please set up a one-element thick 3D model from your 2D model?
Let me know if it's too much work on your side.

I also need to know how long in terms of model time you ran this model,
if it was run on a single processor, and how many time steps were taken.

Finally, here is a non-technical (I guess) question.
According to the Gale's manual, the Frank Kamenetskii viscosity is
defined as temperature-dependent only.
Then, why do we see the viscosity field varying consistently with the
strain rate field?
Such a correspondence is expected when viscosity is also stress-dependent.
Am I misunderstanding something?

Best,
Eunseo