[CIG-LONG] Recommended Petsc version with Gale

Dennis Harry dharry at warnercnr.colostate.edu
Sat Aug 1 17:12:22 PDT 2009

I just (today) successfully did an install of GALE 1.4.1 with all
supporting packages on a new Fedora 2.6 machine.  As Walter mentions, I
found petsc 2.3.2 to work.  But I ran into one quirk.  I opted to let
petsc install blas-linpack and mpi when I configured it (as I said, this
is a brand new Fedora machine so it's pretty empty in regards to
packages).  Things looked good, but petsc stalled in "make test" - no
errors, it just stalled after telling me it was running the 1-processor
test. I ctl-c out of that (after letting it think overnight) and tried
the Gale install, which complained about not finding mpi libs.  So I
installed mpi manually following the instructions on their web site
(which was surprisingly easy).  Then I tried to re-install petsc without
having it download mpi.  It griped.  So I installed petsc and told it
(again) to download mpi and blas-lapack.  Success, but it again stalled
at the "make test". I again ctl-c out of that and did the Gale make and
all is good. I'm able to run the Gale cookbook tests.

So, it seems that Gale wants mpi pieces that aren't installed when we
request to include mpi in the petsc installation (or I can't figure out
how to tell Gale where the pieces are).  Manually installing mpi seems
to fix Gale's needs, but not petsc (again, maybe I'm not telling petsc
where the pieces are).  I suspect I have two copies of mpi on my
machine, one that petsc found in it's install directory and the other in
/usr/local that Gale found. Anyhow, it works.

Now I'm on to other aggravations.  I can't get paraview to install
properly.  Ugh. As Rosanne Rosannadana used to say "it's always something".

Dennis Harry, Colorado State University