[CIG-LONG] puzzles about Gale

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Tue Aug 11 12:05:26 PDT 2009

"李媛媛" <liyuanyuan at cug.edu.cn> wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> I am a senoir lecturer of China University of Geosciences in Wuhan,
> China. Currently i am doing some research on the stability of North
> China Craton within the dynamic mantle. Since Gale is mainly
> designed for continental deformation problems, can it also be used
> in modeling for the coupled effects of mantle convection and
> continental dynamics. Could you give some suggestions on suitable
> softwares. Thank you so much for your help.

Gale is based on Underworld, which was originally a mantle convection
code.  So there should not be any problems doing what you want.  For
example, the tibet example (Chapter 6 in the manual) has both mantle
and crust.

If you could make a sketch of the geometry of the problem, then I
could provide a more definitive answer.

walter at geodynamics.org