[CIG-LONG] A question about Gale

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Wed Aug 19 15:42:20 PDT 2009

Taichi SATO <taichix at ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> > > It should be.  Can you make a sketch of exactly what you are
> thinking of?
> >
> > Yes. I would like to simulate mid-ocean ridge process like the cover of
> > Gale User manual. But In the case of oblique spreading ridge, the magma
> > injection zone is oblique to the spreading direction.
>
> >Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  If you just want to rotate
> >the magma injection zone, then that should work as well as what is on
> >the cover.  I tried doing it myself, but it turned out to be trickier
> >than I expected.  I will give you a new input file soon.
>
> I read Appendix A4 in the Gale manual and found that I can rotate the
> magma injection zone. Now I try to understand the sample file
> "tibet.xml" to construct my own model.
> I look forward to new input file.

Here is a new input file, based on input/examples/rifting.xml.  The
dike has been rotated 45 degrees.  On my laptop, I ran it with the command

  mpirun -np 2 ./Gale sato.xml --elementResI=64 --elementResJ=16 --elementResK=16

I am attaching a picture of the strain-rate after two steps.  Let me
know if this is what you wanted.

walter at geodynamics.org