[CIG-LONG] Controlling Gale Output

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Mon May 4 16:11:01 PDT 2009

Mark Fleharty <mark.fleharty at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I may have missed this in the manual, but when Gale produces the vts
> and particle files, there is a tremendous amount of data.  Is it
> possible to supress that output so that can I exclude things like:
> VelocityField
> VelocityGradientsField
> VorticityField

That is a bit tricky.  Around line 515 of

     src/Underworld/plugins/Output/VTKOutput/VTKOutput.c

add something like

    if(!strcmp(feVar->name,"VelocityField")
    || !strcmp(feVar->name,"VelocityGradientField")
    || !strcmp(feVar->name,"VorticityField"))
    continue;

There should be a way to do it from the input file, though.

> I would also like to not output the particles files at all.

Set particleStepping to a very large number, and you will only get one
particle output.

Alternately, remove the call to VTKOutput_particles around line 108.
That is another thing that should be possible from the input file.

walter at geodynamics.org