[CIG-LONG] cig-long email list

Steve Quenette steve at vpac.org
Wed May 13 01:19:12 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Fantastic conversation... makes me wish I didn't go on holidays:)

To clarify, and I may have mis-read the thread, the plan is to run GALE
and SNAC for the same mesh size (and then vary processors, etc)... are
you solving the same problem if you do this? (I realise your solving to
the same elapsed time)

Steve.

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 17:46 -0400, Eunseo Choi wrote:
> Garrett Ito wrote:
> >
> > Hi Eunseo,
> >
> >   Thanks--I'm still working on mine.  So if I extrapolate out to say
> > 0.1 Myr model time, you'd be at about 1e5yr/(1000*0.1yr)*0.75hrs=750
> > hrs (31 days) on six cores?  Does SNAC scale well?  Can you run the
> > job on say 50 cores?  I'll probably run it mine on about that number
> > of cores.
> Hi, Garrett
>
> No hurry. This is not your duty in the first place. I really appreciate
> your time and effort.
>
> My previous tests showed that SNAC's efficiency for 50 cores is about 0.6.
> So, roughly, 750 hrs*(6/50)/0.6 =150 hrs (6.25 days).
>
> However, the time step size, 0.1 yr, was a highly conservative choice.
> It can be safely increased up to about half the Maxwell time, which
> would be on the order of 10^8 sec for viscosity = ~1.0e+18 Pa.s and
> shear modulus = ~ 10e+10 Pa.
> So, when the time step is 1 yr, the estimated computation time on 50
> cores would be 0.625 day = 15 hr.
>
> Eunse0
>

> > Garrett

Steve Quenette
VPAC, http://www.vpac.org
  Manager - Health & Computational Software Development
  Co-Director AuScope Simulation & Modelling Victoria
(m) +61 438 558 275, (w) +61 3 9348 1100, (f) +61 9925 4647