[CIG-LONG] GALE: Time dependent loading of an unstable layer

Karen Paczkowski karen.paczkowski at yale.edu
Mon Nov 16 15:50:03 PST 2009

Hi,

I am a graduate student at Yale University.  I am interested in using
GALE for a number of my research projects, but I have a few questions.

The first project I am working on involves looking at climate-tectonic
interactions.  I would like to set up a system of two layers
(lithosphere and mantle).  Where the top layer is more dense and more
viscous than the bottom layer.  I would then like to apply a vertical
load that oscillates in time to the top of the entire box (like
b*cos(x)*cos(w*t) where b is the amplitude of the load and w is the

Ultimately, I would like to track the growth and development of a
Rayleigh-Taylor instability due to the applied cyclical vertical

I have never used a large code like GALE before and am a little lost
on what it is capable of and how to implement what i'd like.  I have
read through the users manual and gone through all of the tutorials,
but still have many questions.  The main ones are:

1)  How can I create a time dependent forcing function?  Ideally I
would like a time dependent normal force on the top of the box that is
a combination of the relaxation of the topography (like in the
sinusoidal.xml) and the oscillating applied vertical loading.

2)  Can I track the rate a certain interface/isotherm/etc moves?  For
example, in the cookbook there is a topography relaxation example.  I
can get the correct images for the strain rate invariant and velocity
field, but I'm not sure how to determine the relaxation rate of the
top interface.  Is there a simple way to do this?  I would like to
track the growth rate of the Rayleigh-Taylor instability.  Will this
be possible?

To determine if I can use GALE for this project these two questions
are the most important.

Any help and advice you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Karen Paczkowski
PhD Candidate
Yale University