[CIG-LONG] Gale, erosion and sedimentation

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Tue Nov 17 10:43:31 PST 2009

"Li Yanyou" <wbjlyy at 126.com> wrote:
> Dear Walter
>     Thank you for your help. Now, I already have built Gale in my
> computer.  So I want to learn how to deal with erosion and
> sedimentation in experimenting with Gale. Could you give me some
> suggestion about this problem.

First of all, surface processes have some limitations.  If you have a
process that only depends on local information, then you have no
problems.  If it depends on looking at the whole surface, then it will
only work in serial.  Getting it to work in parallel is somewhere on
my TODO list.

With that said, if you look in the file

  src/Gale/plugins/SurfaceProcess/SurfaceProcess.c

there is a comment

  /*
  ** SURFACE PROCESS CODE GOES HERE, SHOULD MODIFY THE VELOCITIES ONLY.
  */

Simple diffusion is implemented there.  You can replace that with
whatever erosional law you like.  It can get a bit tricky, so if you
could describe exactly what erosional law you want to implement, I can
help.

walter at geodynamics.org