[CIG-LONG] Low viscosity material around dike

Taichi SATO taichix at aori.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Apr 27 19:46:09 PDT 2010

Dear Garrett

Thank you very much!

> Try making the lithosphere 3-5 times thicker. Also, the "initialDamage"
> parameters are designed to weaken one side of the dike so a fault
> localizes on this one side initially.
I made thicker axial lithosphere(8km) by changing
thermal condition.  I also set "initial Damage"
one side of the dike
and changed mesh interval from 500m to 250m.
Under above condition, I could see inward and
outward faults.

However, the materials on either sides of the dike
sink down. Please see attached file. I  think this
structure is not ideal because I would like to
make axial valley (it is OK if this is an Axial
Volcanic Ridge).
Does it come from wrong initial parameters, such
as viscosity, temperature and divergence, etc ?

Sincerely,

Taichi

  Taichi SATO
  PhD student
  5-1-5 kashiwanoha, kashiwa, Chiba 277-8564, Japan
  Department of Ocean Floor Geoscience
  Division of Ocean-Earth System Science
  Atmosphere and Ocean Research Institute, The
university of Tokyo
 Phone : 04-7136-6124
  E-mail: taichix at ori.u-tokyo.ac.jp  (->7/1)
  E-mail: taichix at aori.u-tokyo.ac.jp (4/1->)