[CIG-LONG] Gale stress tensor verse pressure output in .dat and vtk files

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 3 15:33:48 PDT 2010

Hi Walter,

Yep, the stress values make a lot more sense now that I've added the pressure back in.

So in general, would it be reasonable to say that the sum of the deviatoric stress values is a good indicator how large the compressibility term is (i.e. since the deviatoric stress tensor trace should sum to zero)?  I checked and in some models this non-zero value is quite small (>4 orders of magnitude smaller than non-hydrostatic stresses), while in others it is larger (1 or 2 orders of magnitude smaller than non-hydrostatic stresses).

Also, what are some of the analytical solutions you tested for the side stress boundary conditions?  The few tests I've tried behaved reasonably well, but I'd definitely like to also try out some of the scenarios that don't give good matches to the analytical solutions.

Thanks again,
John