[CIG-LONG] Help! SNAC Benchmark: Parallel-Plate Viscometer

Jean Liu jeanpaulyn.liu at utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 12 07:33:24 PDT 2010

Hi Eunseo,

In the no-slip case, my velocities are still greatest on the wall
boundary condition (instead of where it's supposed to be pushing out
in the x-direction), and I get the shear and normal stress from the
SNAC output, visualized on Paraview.

How do you get stress invariant as an output? When I load the .vts and
.pvts files into Paraview, I get the option of plotting:

- plastic strain
- strain rate
- pressure
- hydrostatic pressure
- tetra shear stress
- max. shear stress
- von mises stress
- shear stress @30d
- normal stress @30d
- failure potential @30d
- phase
- viscosity
- velocity
- force
- temperature

Quoting Eunseo Choi <echoi at ldeo.columbia.edu>:

> I see. Then, the stress value you compute must be different from what's
> plotted in the manual.
>
> First of all, velocity field looks better in the no-slip case?
> And, what does the plot of stress invariant look like?
> How did you get the shear and normal components of stress?
>

> Eunseo
>

> On 08/11/2010 05:04 PM, Jean Liu wrote:
>> Hi Eunseo!
>>
>> I tried that before, as well, and I ended up getting an asymmetric
>> pattern for stress.. (I attached the screenshot to this email)
>>
>> - Jean
>>

>> Quoting Eunseo Choi <echoi at ldeo.columbia.edu>:
>>
>>> Hi, Jean
>>>
>>> No-slip conditions should be added on the moving walls.
>>> So, insert the following block of XML code into each of the top and
>>> bottom BC sections:
>>> ==================
>>> <struct>
>>> <param name="name"> vx </param>
>>> <param name="type"> double </param>
>>> <param name="value"> 0.0 </param>
>>> </struct>
>>> <struct>
>>> <param name="name"> vz </param>
>>> <param name="type"> double </param>
>>> <param name="value"> 0.0 </param>
>>> </struct>
>>> ==================
>>>
>>> And please update me on the results!
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Eunseo
>>>
>>> ps. Do you mind posting this reply on the cig-long list?

>>> --
>>> Eunseo Choi
>>> Post-Doctoral Research Scientist
>>>
>>> Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory