[CIG-LONG] tracking sedimentary layers during deformation

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Wed Jan 6 16:03:22 PST 2010

Tristan Salles-Taing <sallestaing at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hope you had a good Xmas and New Year Eve break.
>
> Attached is the minor changes I made in the SurfaceAdaptor
> files. The surface is supposed to be defined on a regular square
> grid.

Thanks a lot.  I modified it so that the topo file does not have to
cover the region exactly.  It can be bigger and Gale will only use the
bits that overlap.  That means that you have to tell Gale what the
area is.  There is an example in

  input/cookbook/viscous_extension3D.xml

I also included your topo file, since it is small.

This has all been applied to the new mercurial repository.  You can
get it by following the commands at the bottom of

  http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/long/gale/

> I was thinking the PolygonShape was only for 2D simulation. The
> SurfaceShape is made for defining 3D shape. It consists in giving
> for each shape 2 surfaces that represent its envelop.  It helps me
> to import easily our simulated sedimentary layers in Gale. I have
> attached as well as the files 2 snapshots to give you a better
> idea. To make it work in Gale few changes need to be done in the
> following files:
>
> Init.c, SConscript, Shape.h, types.h
>
> mainly to add the new shape type and the headers of the new file.

I am looking at this.

> Considering the particle tracers it seems that it is exactly what
> I'm looking for.
>
> I had a try with the ManualParticleLayout but there are some
> problems when the number of particle is 'large'.
>
> Here is the kind of problem I have:

Could you send me the input file you use?

Thanks,
Walter Landry
walter at geodynamics.org