[CIG-LONG] Modifed HydrostaticTerm.c => VTK pressure output problem

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Thu Jun 17 12:45:18 PDT 2010

John Naliboff <jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> However, the pressure values in the VTK field files does not contain
> the full pressure, but rather what appears to be basically the
> dynamic pressure.  If I a run a model that does not use the
> half-space cooling option in HydrostaticTerm.c, I get the full
> pressure output to the VTK field files.
>
> After some extensive searching, it's not clear to me why using the
> half-space cooling option I implemented in HydrostaticTerm.c causes
> an incorrect pressure output to the VTK field files.
>
> If there another section of code that needs to be modified when I
> modify HydrostaticTerm.c and HydrostaticTerm.h?

HydrostaticTerm is supposed to be called from

  src/Underworld/plugins/Output/VTKOutput/VTKOutput.c

In particular, there are the statements

                      /* Next add the hydrostatic term */
                      if(hydrostaticTerm)
                        {
                          double *coord;
                          coord=Mesh_GetVertex(feVar->feMesh,local);
                          p+=HydrostaticTerm_Pressure(hydrostaticTerm,coord);
                        }

I would suggest putting in some print statements to make sure that
HydrostaticTerm is being called and gives the right answer.

walter at geodynamics.org