[CIG-LONG] PETSc error when using MUMPS

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Wed Jun 23 14:53:34 PDT 2010

Luke Mondy <luke.s.mondy at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Just to note, right after the "Configuring PETSc.." heading, I get this:
>
> /usr/local/petsc-3.0.0-p12/config/BuildSystem/config/compilers.py:7:
> DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
>   import sets
> /usr/local/petsc-3.0.0-p12/config/PETSc/package.py:7: DeprecationWarning: the
> md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
>   import md5
> /usr/local/petsc-3.0.0-p12/config/BuildSystem/script.py:101:
> DeprecationWarning: The popen2 module is deprecated.  Use the subprocess
> module.
>   import popen2

Do not worry about this.  These warnings are because Petsc tries to be
compatible with old versions of Python.

> (A side note, is PETScExt needed? I have tried installing it, but it comes up
> saying some odd things...)

No, it is not needed.

> 10) Then, if I run:
>
> build/bin/Gale input/cookbook/yielding.xml -mat_type aijumps -ksp_type pre
> only -pc_type lu
>
> or:
>
> mpirun -np 2 build/bin/Gale input/cookbook/yielding.xml -mat_type aijumps
> -ksp_type pre only -pc_type lu

Petsc changed the syntax for using Mumps.  It should be

  -pc_factor_mat_solver_package mumps -ksp_type preonly -pc_type lu

If you get runtime errors with large problems, you may also need to
append the option

  -mat_mumps_icntl_14 100

> or:
>
> build/bin/Gale input/cookbook/yielding.xml -ksp_type pre only -pc_type lu
                                                          ^
                                                       preonly

Notice that there should be no space.

walter at geodynamics.org