[CIG-LONG] 3-D Visualization on ParaView

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Fri May 7 16:37:06 PDT 2010

Jean Liu <jeanpaulyn.liu at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My name is Jean Liu; I'm a student from the University of Toronto, and
> I'm having problems visualizing the Cookbook demos in 3-D using
> Paraview. I'm working on Windows Vista.
>
> I changed the dim parameter, as described in the User's Manual, but
> when I plot the output on Paraview, all I get is a hollow box, and all
> of the fields vectors shown in the Information tab of the Object
> Inspector on Paraview are 2-D. Do you know what might be the problem?

When viewing 3D data, Paraview defaults to just showing the outline of
the box.  There will be a drop-down menu near the top with the word
"Outline".  Click on that and change it so "Surface".  Then click on
the drop-down menu with "Solid Color" and change it to whatever you
like.

> Also, when I tried to run the "Geologic Example" in the Gale User's
> Manual, I downloaded the ascii_topo file from the geodynamics.org
> site, but I don't know where I should put it, in order for tibet3D.xml
> to see it. In the manual, it said that the location is hard-coded in
> src/StGermain/Discretisation/Mesh/src/SurfaceAdaptor.c
>
> But, what exactly does that mean? Where can I find the source code
> (where is the directory containing it?) How/where can I see the
> location of where ascii_topo should be?

If you are running a binary, then there is no source.  You have to
build Gale from source in order to modify it.  The current release is
hard-coded to look in the current directory for "ascii_topo".  Because
of oddities with MPI, it may not be obvious what the current directory
is.  You can find out by running the cookbooks.  It should be the
directory where the "output/" directory is.

walter at geodynamics.org