[CIG-LONG] Gale 1.5/1.6: Stress boundary conditions and standard condition functions

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Wed Nov 10 10:20:09 PST 2010

Hi Walter,

I had a quick question regarding the use of stress boundary conditions combined with standard condition functions in Gale 1.5/1.6.

In Gale 1.4 I've used the standard condition functions (StepFunctionProduct...) to apply stress BC's to only certain sections of the side walls.  In Gale 1.5/1.6, however, I've run into trouble getting the StressBC to work with the same "StepFunctionProduct" standard condition function.

I attached an input file I tried to run with Gale 1.6 using a StressBC on the right wall with the StepFunctionProduct function, which crashed immediately (the error output is in the file Gale_1_6_0_Tests_StressBC_ErrorOutput).  The error appears to be related to StressBC.c not recognizing the StepFunctionProduct standard condition function, but I'm not sure what the exact issue is.

In Gale 1.4, you had to place the following lines right above the StressBC components for the model to run successfully.
<struct name="conditionFunctions">
	<param name="Type">StgFEM_StandardConditionFunctions</param>
</struct>

The manual for Gale 1.6 (pg 102) also indicates that the lines above need to be placed above the StressBC components, but doing so also caused the model to fail immediately with a different error (I have those lines [458-460] commented out in my input file).

Everything else seems to be fine with my input file, which ran successfully w/Gale 1.6 when I replaced the StressBC on the right wall with a VelocityBC.

Apologies if I've just missed some very basic with the StressBC/Standard condition function  implementation in Gale 1.6 and thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers,
John