[CIG-LONG] Fwd: CIG-LONG Digest, Vol 47, Issue 2

Guillaume.Duclaux at csiro.au Guillaume.Duclaux at csiro.au
Tue Oct 19 02:20:43 PDT 2010

copy to the list

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Duclaux, Guillaume (CESRE, Kensington)" <Guillaume.Duclaux at csiro.au<mailto:Guillaume.Duclaux at csiro.au>>
Date: 19 October 2010 5:14:17 PM AWST
To: Walter Landry <walter at geodynamics.org<mailto:walter at geodynamics.org>>
Subject: Re: [CIG-LONG] CIG-LONG Digest, Vol 47, Issue 2

Indeed.

But, shouldn't it be possible to solve purely thermal problem with Gale?  (let's pretend the thermal expansion is null is Nicolas' problem).
ie a sill at a temperature of 1000 K has intruded a mass of rock at constant temperature (600 K) and I want to simulate the thermal evolution of the system as I change the thickness of the dyke or the radiogenic heat production of one or the other material.

To ensure the solver timestepping is not missing the temperature perturbation timescale, how should the time be scaled?
I guess viscosity doesn't matter if the problem is purely thermal, but as soon as the thermal expansion is on, some body forces act too creating some 'slow' displacement.