[CIG-LONG] Fwd: CIG-LONG Digest, Vol 47, Issue 2

Julian Giordani (Sci) julian.giordani at monash.edu
Wed Oct 20 16:26:41 PDT 2010

On 21 October 2010 05:59, Walter Landry <walter at geodynamics.org> wrote:

> Laetitia Le Pourhiet <laetitia.le_pourhiet at upmc.fr> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was intrigued by all this problems with thermal diffusion...
> >
> > I don't understand why this limitation for the time step is not
> > included in gale, I guess it is historical since diffusion is
> > negligible for convection problem and gale is based on underworld but
> > as Charmaine showed, it is not negligible for post-rift simulation.
>
> It turns out that there is some machinery in AdvectionDiffusionSLE to
> use a maximum diffusivity to compute a step size.  However, the
> maximum diffusivity is hard coded and can not be set from an input
> file.  I do not know why that is.

just on this note and assuming the GALE implementation is the same as
Underworld...

Maximum diffusivity is initially hard-coded in AdvectionDiffusionSLE.c -
some legacy condition I suspect.
Then the value of 'self->maxDiffusivity' is dynamically calculated using the
all material diffusivity values or the value of 'defaultDiffusivity', this
is done in the file UpwindParameter.c

the diffusive timestep = self->courantFactor * minSeparation * minSeparation
/ self->maxDiffusivity

so max diffusivity should be a reasonable value.

cheers,
Julian