[CIG-LONG] Fwd: CIG-LONG Digest, Vol 47, Issue 2

Laetitia Le Pourhiet laetitia.le_pourhiet at upmc.fr
Wed Oct 20 08:33:52 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I was intrigued by all this problems with thermal diffusion...

I don't understand why this limitation for the time step is not included
in gale, I guess it is historical since diffusion is negligible for
convection problem and gale is based on underworld but as Charmaine
showed, it is not negligible for post-rift simulation.

Anyway

I found that  FiniteElementContext.c contains a parameter we can all use
for the moment to limit the time step without using the very dangerous
dt parameter...

  context->maxTimeStepSize = Dictionary_GetDouble_WithDefault(
self->dictionary, (Dictionary_Entry_Key)"maxTimeStepSize", 0.0 );

So providing that function is really used in Gale, it means that
everybody has to compute by hand its diffusion timestep i.e. :

dt_diff = sqrt(min_length_of_a cell)/max_diffusivity_in_your_model...

and  add
<param name="maxTimeStepSize">dt_diff</param> in your xml ....
to their xml

I think we should all include that in our simulation because for a 3km
mesh and a diffusivity of 1e-6 it makes a timestep of 300ka which is
about or a little bit less than what I get with dtfactor=0.5 for a
1cm/year crustal extension problem.

hope this help
Laetitia